The holidays are rapidly approaching. Soon you’ll be decorating the house and planning the Christmas shopping list. Why not give someone the perfect gift of custom wood furniture? Not only is this an incredibly unique gift, but it’s also something your friend or loved one will cherish for years to come. Wood furniture is a classic choice that never goes out of style. Plus, each piece will look different depending on the type of wood you use. With more than 100,000 different species of wood in the world, it’s practically impossible that you would ever give the same gift twice!
It’s important that you consider what type of wood you would like to use for your custom piece before you get started. Each wood comes with its own unique appearance and has a long list of best uses and suitable functions. For example, some woods, including walnut and fir, are better suited for indoor furniture, while cedar is great for outdoor use. To help you pick, here is a selection of the best types of wood for custom furniture building to pick up from your local hardwood lumber store in Houston, TX:
- Fir: Fir is a longtime favorite of woodworkers because of its extreme versatility. Not only is it versatile, but fir is also affordable and renowned for its grain and unique color. Even if you aren’t a fan of the blonde shade, fir is still a great option because it cooperates beautifully with all types of stains.
- Walnut: Walnut should be your go-to wood if you’re looking for a deep, rich brown shade. It’s incredibly durable, which makes it perfect for furniture pieces you know will get some regular use, such as a kitchen table. While the price point is a bit higher, it’s worth it considering the classic look and durability.
- Pine: This is probably the most loved wood for building custom furniture. Pine comes in multiple varieties, including ponderosa, yellow, sugar and white. Any of them would be a beautiful choice for your project. Plus, its soft texture ensures that it can be carved relatively easily and takes a stain incredibly well.
- Ash: There’s a reason ash has been a top choice for furniture building for hundreds of years. With its easily recognizable pale brown shade, easy-to-work-with qualities and a remarkable ability to take stain, this wood is practically perfect. Unfortunately, it’s also occasionally difficult to find. This is one selection you’ll probably only be able to find at your local hardwood lumber store in Houston, TX.
- Cedar: Hoping to build a set of outdoor furniture to be used once the warm weather arrives? If so, you should consider selecting cedar wood for your project. This type of wood is a bit soft and features an unmistakable straight grain. It’s a fine choice for outdoor furniture as it handles moist environments without rotting.
Ready to get started? Stop by Houston Hardwoods Inc. today for the best selection of softwoods, hardwoods, exotic woods and more. Whether you’re creating a luxurious set of custom wood chairs, installing a new wood deck or selecting custom moldings, Houston Hardwoods Inc. can help you find the perfect option for practically any project.