Whether a professional woodworker, wood enthusiast or an admirer of quality wood products, you are going to appreciate the look and feel of a beautiful piece of lumber. One such type of lumber is Southern Yellow Pine, which consists of four major species: Slash Pine, Loblolly Pine, Shortleaf Pine and Longleaf Pine. Because Southern Yellow Pine is a strong and versatile wood, it’s an ideal choice for both building professionals and hobbyists alike.
Here are some of the benefits of working with Southern Yellow Pine lumber in Houston:
- Availability: Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) is widely available and plentiful across the southern United States, particularly in such states as Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, North Carolina and others. SYP is pretty relentless, as it is able to thrive extremely well in the red clay soil of the South. The great thing is that, because SYP grows in abundance in the U.S., builders and woodworkers have easy access to this superior wood species.
- Naturally beautiful: SYP is one of those species of wood that is naturally beautiful thanks to its unique wood grain pattern and popping golden color. Its grain is, for the most part, straight, unless knots are present. As a sapwood, the color of SYP lumber tends to be golden yellow, with its darkest spots being light brown. When heartwood is present, your SYP lumber will likely be a reddish-brown. This wood is both visually interesting and offers a high quality appearance in many applications. In addition, pressure treated SYP is great for decking and other big building projects.
- Extremely strong: If you want lumber that is strong and dense, then SYP is one to consider. Experts say that SYP has a density that makes it the strongest softwood lumber species offering structural support. Such strength allows it to be a top-notch load-bearing lumber with fastener holding abilities.
- Reasonably priced: SYP is competitively priced because it is available in abundance, making it a great value. And there’s good news for those using this lumber in their construction projects: since SYP is extremely strong, builders can complete jobs using less wood.
- Sustainability: SYP grows in abundance in the southern states, so when the economy is strong, it’s not unusual for over 15 billion board feet of lumber to be produced in a single year. Grow locations can sustain a lot on the needles, twigs and other green debris from the trees themselves. They are excellent sources of nutrients for the soil, which puts less stress on the soil and nearby environment during harvest time.
- Economic benefits: Living in the United States, you should want to support American products—especially when the resource is grown and harvested here in the U.S. When you support this American product, not only will you feel good as a local consumer, but you are also supporting something that is environmentally friendly and good for the success of southern local economies.
When your project calls for a specific type of lumber in Houston, you can rest assured you’ll find it at Houston Hardwoods Inc. Contact us with questions, or drop by to browse our quality building supplies and specialty lumber!