How can you tell the holidays are upon us? First, the weather is on a constant path toward colder temperatures, and Christmas music is playing everywhere you go. Another way you know it’s the holidays is that you just realized you still need to get presents for your family and friends.
Never fear! You’re a talented woodworker with the right skills and tools, which means that you can make customized, personalized gifts made of the wood species of your choosing. No matter your woodworking skill level, there’s something you can make for everyone on your gift list this year.
With this in mind, here are some holiday gift ideas that woodworkers can make from quality lumber in Houston:
- Wine rack: For the avid wine enthusiast in your life, you can’t go wrong with gifting a beautiful handcrafted wine rack. It can be as simple as a bar top wine holder, or as intricate as a taller floor wine rack that can attach to the wall for stability. Go one step further and place a bottle on the wine rack to start filling in the holders!
- Shoe rack: Man, woman, child—everyone has shoes, most of which seem to end up strewn about home entryways. Making a shoe rack as a gift is a simple way to help your friends and family regain control over their footwear. For example, a sturdy cubbyhole shoe rack can tidy up a mudroom, entryway or garage.
- Jewelry box: Is there someone in your life who’s in desperate need of a jewelry box? If so, this is a no-brainer. You can make them a special jewelry box to save them from having to pile their favorite pieces in a dusty old bowl. No more tangled necklaces or having to dig to find a particular ring!
- Advent calendar: If you know someone who, without fail, always gets an advent calendar to count down the days until Christmas, consider designing a reusable one to wrap and give. A simple, rustic triangle shaped Christmas tree with the right number of little doors to open will provide a magical experience for the gift recipient holiday after holiday.
- Holiday decorations: Anyone would love to receive a hand carved holiday ornament, because not only are these gifts lovely to look at, they are also unique. Even if you carve more than one of the same ornament, each will be slightly different. Or, if you’ve noticed someone without a tree topper in the past, make them a wooden star to use every Christmas from here on out.
- Custom molding: If you have the necessary tools to craft custom molding for someone, do it! Drop by their home to scout out the areas that can use some custom molding—projects like door casings, picture molding, crown molding and baseboard styling. Stain it or paint it to match the gift recipient’s walls for an added personal touch.
Are you ready to get started? Get your handmade gift list together and head down to Houston Hardwoods Inc.’s lumberyard today for a selection of building materials and lumber in Houston. Don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or supply and service requests!